Been wondering why all those people in your Facebook timeline are telling you where they currently are with a link to a map? All you can think of is how vain your friends have become. Kind of.
If you didn’t read my post about Location Based Networking, I’ll bring you up to date and go a bit more in depth for how business owners can benefit.
Quick recap: Location Based Social Network websites allow you to “check in” at different venues from your phone when you arrive. When you check-in, you tell all of your Social Media connections on Facebook, Twitter and the location Social Network that you’re using, what venue you’re currently at. Senseless, huh? Maybe not…
Why does it work for businesses? People are more inclined to listen to what their friends are telling them about a restaurant, than what the restaurant’s billboard says. An “Ummm, great Steak at N9Ne steakhouse” from one of your friends works better than a billboard saying how great the restaurant’s food is.
Sounds great! How do I get my business involved?
First, go to the Foursquare business page and look up your business.
Now it’s as easy as a 2 step process:
- Confirm your business by looking it up and clicking the “Are you the Manager of this business?”. Foursquare will then take you through the confirmation process.
- Setup your special.
Foursquare tells you the kind of specials you, the business owner can offer:
- Mayor Specials: unlocked only by the Mayor of your venue. Who’s the Mayor? It’s your single most loyal customer! (the user who has checked in the most in the last 60 days) “Foursquare has deemed you the Mayor? Enjoy a free order of french fries!”
- Check-in Specials: unlocked when a user checks in to your venue a certain number of times. “Foursquare says you’ve been here 10 times? That’s a free drink for you!”
- Frequency-based Specials: are unlocked every X check-ins. “Foursquare users get 20% off any entree every 5th check-in!”
- Wildcard Specials: always unlocked, but your staff has to verify some extra conditions
before awarding the Special. “Show us your foursquare Swarm badge and get a free drink!”
- And more to come!
One of the best features of Foursquare is their Analytics for business owners. They show a lot of useful stats behind your venues’ check-ins. They break down check-ins different ways, like what time of day the most users are checking in, what gender your check-ins are, and a whole slew of other analytics.This allows you the business owner on how to focus your marketing efforts. Possibly setting up “Swarm Badges” for slow times. A