Do you lay awake at night wondering who’s visiting your website? Okay… Maybe not, but hopefully I can convince some of you about the importance of knowing visitor information and their behaviors on your website.
Besides wanting to know who’s visiting your website, from a business standpoint it’s pretty essential. Your website should be making you money, not costing you money. Knowing visitor info will let you know what’s working and what isn’t on your site. Think of it this way- If you’re in business, you probably collect stats about how people found out about you, where they come from, how much of your business is repeat business and how much is new business. Analytics software is the equivalent of these stats in much more detail to give you a great picture of people’s behavior on your site.
Some of the things you can find out with Website Analytics:
- Amount of visitors visiting your site- (remember when people had counters on their sites!).
- Visitor geographical location. Why are you more popular there, and how can you duplicate it?
- Referring websites. See who’s linking to you, what search engines like your site, and who’s typing your site address directly.
- Time spent on your site. Do you need to make your navigation easier? People have no patience for tough to navigate websites. If they can’t find the information they’re looking for within a few seconds, they’ll leave to find it somewhere else.
- Most / least popular pages. Is there a clear path to the info you want them to see?
- All this info and a lot more.
The days of having a website “because everyone else has one” are over. Think of your website as a salesperson. You should be working your website to get the most out of it.
For more information about Website Analytics or anything else regarding Website Development or Marketing, please contact me.